Custom Search

Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Little Business

Having pontificated enough, I realize I still have a few myths to bust, and I've gotten some good feedback on the idea of posting some old-Tom-scripts (circa 2001) online and talking about what I would do differently now, but I still don't know how I would get around the legalities of that. (A few networks might have something to say about that. :-))

But it did get me thinking about putting together some "I Wanna Be A Soap Opera Writer" experiment, with people writing scripts off of old breakdowns. Again, I question if I could get sued (not that they could take much away from me these days). But I do know there are a lot of fans out there who dream of one day writing their favorite characters, and if I can find a way around the lawyers, it might be kinda fun. I wish I could offer a job as a grand prize, but they're few and far between these days. Sorry, would-be writers!

I'll see what I can do...

7 comments:

Scott said...

The "I Want to be a Soap Opera Writer" sounds like an amazing idea!

Anonymous said...

That does sound like a great idea, and a legal minefield.

If I can be of any assistance in providing guidance through that minefield, drop me an email, I'd be happy to help - legal soap blogger to writer soap blogger.

Anonymous said...

How about just creating something new and original? Tom as EP and all us wannabes as the writing staff? Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Here's my question:

Why do some soap writers, like JER, think it's a good idea to make the viewers hate the storylines? Wouldn't that logically cause your ratings to drop if the audience isn't happy?

Scott N said...

Giving the would be writers a shot sounds like a great idea if you can get around the legalities of it all. I guess the breakdowns are still property of the shows, and I'm not sure if the "not-for-profit" nature by not having a prize makes a difference. Maybe those more the familiar with the law can help you with that aspect.

Anonymous said...

Can't it be done like fan fiction. There is tons of unsolicited fan fiction on the internet. Josh Wheedon of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, loved fan fiction because it increased interest in the show. How about just asking everyone to write a Christmas scenario for a show or a wedding could that work? I've wondered for years why a show like GL with all its history didn't ask for a script from its fans.

Ornithophobe said...

The fans have been clamoring for an "I wanna be a soapwriter" for ages, the idea comes up in just about every discussion of soap fanfic I stumble across, and we're always wondering why there seems to be no new blood in the industry. I know I for one would be utterly delighted if you managed to pull something like that together.